Alcohol and Other Drug Services, Division of Student Life
Online Screening - Alcohol and Cannabis Self-Assessment Tools
360 Proof Personal Feedback Index (PFI) is a confidential online tool which will provide you with personalized feedback about your alcohol use patterns, specific health and personal consequences, unique personal and family risk factors, and campus and community support services. The program takes approximately 15 minutes to complete.
eCHECKUP TO GO is a confidential online tool which will provide you with personalized feedback about your cannabis use patterns, specific health and personal consequences, unique personal and family risk factors, and campus and community support services. The program takes approximately 15 minutes to complete.
In-Person Substance Abuse Screening and Brief Intervention
BASICS (Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students): A 2-session program that walks you through conversations that illuminate your social habits and patterns, such as:
- what risks may be associated with your current patterns of use
- what role your alcohol use plays in your social life
- how your social behaviors compare with other MIT students
This is a private, non-judgmental conversation that emphasizes your health and safety. You will not get in trouble for underage alcohol use or illegal drug use. You can decide what, if anything, you’d like to change, and we'll help you develop a plan to meet your goals.
Schedule an appointment: https://studentlife.mit.edu/aods-appointments
Alcohol and Narcotics Anonymous
- Meetings based on a 12-step model that promotes sobriety from alcohol and other drugs
- Meetings held both on campus and within surrounding community
- For more information on AA meetings across the greater Boston area: https://aaboston.org/
- For more information about NA meetings: https://nerna.org/find-a-meeting/
Student Mental Health and Counseling
MyLife Services, MIT’s Employee Assistance Program, assesses all counseling cases for substance use and misuse. Assessments include a clinical interview and validated screening tools such as the AUDIT and DAST. If treatment for substance misuse is indicated, the counselor will refer an employee to the appropriate level of care, including:
- Outpatient counseling with a clinician specializing in substance misuse treatment
- Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOP)
- Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP)
- Medication Assisted Withdrawal Programs ("Detox")
- Residential Treatment Programs
- Self-Help groups
Employees may also access a Substance Use Disorder Self-Assessment and Online Addiction and Substance Use Disorder Information on the MyLife Services Website.
MyLife Services can advise managers and HR professionals on how to support employees (including ways to facilitate treatment entry) who present with symptoms of substance misuse in the workplace.
MyLife Services can facilitate onsite processing groups and/or onsite individual counseling sessions following workplace crises related to substance misuse.